FLIR Systems Inc, the Oregon USA based company regarded as pioneers in thermal imaging camera technology, has just released a new version of the FLIR ONE in the form of an attachment that connects to mobile devices via either lightning connector for iOS (Apple) or micro-USB connector for Droid (Android).
Once connected, FLIR ONE displays a live thermal image of the world around you right on your mobile device screen, with the capacity to capture both still images and videos. These can also be panorama images and time-lapse videos.
The FLIR ONE gives users the ability to see in absolute darkness completely unaided by any light-source whatsoever. Capable of comparing relative temperature differences, and measuring minute changes of 0.18° F (0.1° C), this technology was until now priced beyond most people’s budjet starting at thousands of dollars.
FLIR Systems Inc. is bringing this amazing technology to market at under $250.00 (USD).
This is what the original model FLIR ONE was selling for. As a budget-friendly decision from this innovative market leader, the manufacturer has packed rich improvements into the new model and left the price unchanged, and opted to reduce the older model’s price by $100.00
This is a real game-changer. Anyone interested in affordable night vision devices can now consider thermal imaging technology as a viable option.
I want to highlight this is cutting-edge DIGITAL technology. There are no delicate components as in chemically coated glass-tubes found in “Generation-type” devices, and can be utilized both day and night.
Notable features include:
- FLIR’s new patented MSX technology which blends visible spectrum detail from a VGA-camera, to images from a (neighboring) powerful thermal camera to achieve truely remarkable definition. The 640 x 480 enhanced resolution is more detailed than ever before.
- User friendly smaller dimensions: L 2.8 inches (72mm) x W 1 inch (26mm) x H 0.7 inches (18mm), and weight: 2.75 ounces (32 grams). Smaller and lighter with it’s own protective carrying case defines the portability of this device.
- Powered by its own internal rechargeable-battery. With a capacity of 350 mA/h, the new FLIR ONE will neither consume power from the connected mobile device battery, nor charge it. When inactive, it automatically switches to low-power mode to maximize its battery life. The on-screen battery-charge monitor makes management easy.
- A new FLIR ONE App available for free at the Apple App Store and late July 2015 on Google Play, is created to enhance the FLIR ONE device experience, providing an intuitive user interface that incorporates a variety of color palettes with useful Panorama, TimeLapse and CloseUp features. It can load captured images and vidoes directly to the camera roll, and allows users to share on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media channels with a single tap.
- °F and °C temperature readout (spot meter)
- Subject temperature range: -4°F to 248°F (-20° to 120°C)
- Device operating temperature: 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C)
- Weight: 2.75 ounces (32 grams)
- Dimensions: L 2.8 inches (72mm) x W 1 inch (26mm) x H 0.7 inches (18mm)
- Battery capacity: 350 mA/h.
- Charging method: micro-USB (Android) and lightning connector (Apple) paired with a wall charger.
- Device compatibility: Android products containing a micro-USB and Apple products containing a lightning connector, including iPhone 6 and 6 plus, among others.
- Included accessory: charging cable (either micro-USB or lightning connector)
If you are interested in night vision devices and the incredible advantages of utilizing this technology, you must consider the world of thermal imaging, especially now that cost is no longer prohibitive.