13 Comments

1. John Eastlake, O.D.
    February 14, 2018 @ 18:37

I’m always puzzled that some websites say that yellow sunglasses are hazardous for those with glare problems driving at night. I’m equally puzzled that the websites explaining why they help with contrast sensitivity fail to mention the concept of Rayleigh scatter as the explanation for why any of the yellow, orange or reddish tints help with contrast in older patients (who invariably have very slight haze developing in the lenses inside their eyes, a very early stage in cataract development). I guess Rayleigh scatter involves wavelengths and math and people don’t want to go there.

• Tony
      February 15, 2018 @ 09:59

Hello Doctor John. Thank you for your comment.

Can you recommend an any further information on the topic of “night vision” for our visitors?

Most people, myself included, have problems with scatter of bright lights while driving at night. I can certainly attest to the fact that yellow tinted glasses help with this.
      What in your opinion, is most effective?

2. Chaven Yenketswamy
    May 30, 2017 @ 06:12

If you practice star gazing it improves your ability to see faint objects. It is like a night vision exercise. Polycarbonate yellow tinted glasses do not improve night visibility. If they did you should see fainter magnitude stars with them.

3. Susan Schaaf
    March 10, 2016 @ 14:12

I am a 68 year old female with 20/40 vision.

I had cataract surgery 4 years ago and my lenses were replaced with the Restore lenses. Since then, I do not need glasses to read. I can even read the backs of pill bottles, etc.

The problem I am experiencing is that I have great difficulty with night driving. Headlight glare, bright snow, lots of raindrops on my windshield – these are the things I have the most trouble with. I absolutely do not need glasses for reading, nor do I need glasses for daytime driving.

I have heard that there are specialty night driving glasses that are legal and can cut down on headlight glare and make objects sharper to the eye.

I would love your advice on this.

• Tony
      March 12, 2016 @ 17:16

Hi Susan. Thanks for contacting me.

The yellow glasses that I feature really help with the problems you describe.
      Best thing is…they are really inexpensive to try for yourself.
      I have no doubt you’ll be happy with their performance.

4. leta
    August 26, 2014 @ 21:03

I don;t wear glasses nor contacts
    I have had laser: successful EXCEPT night driving

Oncoming lights challenge me
    Suggestions?

Thank you.

• Tony Valentino
      August 27, 2014 @ 16:08

Hi Carol. Thanks for contacting me.

There is a simple solution to improve your vision and control the glare during night driving…yellow sunglasses (and clip-on,) like the ones I mention in my article.

5. alex
    January 1, 2014 @ 22:02

I need glasses to drive.

• Tony Valentino
      January 4, 2014 @ 14:52

Hi Alex.

Me too. That is why I researched and wrote this article.
      I hope it helped you.

6. priyank
    June 7, 2013 @ 20:06

Hey I love these glasses and I also like the design. It looks cool on my face….

• Tony Valentino
      June 8, 2013 @ 13:24

I’m glad you like them.

• Michael
      September 20, 2016 @ 23:32

Are all Yellow Lens suitable for night driving, or is there a specific lens that I need to inquire about when I purchase night driving eye-wear?

• Tony
        September 25, 2016 @ 15:25

Hi Michael. Thanks for contacting me.

Besides the yellow tint, you may find additional benefits with an anti-glare coating which is not always available unless you are having your glasses custom made, as you would with prescription eyewear.